The Darkness of the Womb

The Darkness of the Womb

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Review: Seeking Dr. Magic

Seeking Dr. MagicSeeking Dr. Magic by Scott Spotson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

When I first started this book, I was really intrigued. The mystery of "ninjas" jumping off of buildings and flipping back onto them had me really engrossed. And while the book is called "Seeking Dr. Magic", I really had high hopes that there wasn't really, I guess we'll call it "magic", involved at all. It kind of reminds me of the movie, Signs. In that film, everything pointed to aliens, but I really hoped that we would find out in the end that it was all a hoax and there really weren't any aliens. Unfortunately, we find out that there are aliens, and just like that, this book really has magic, which kind of threw me out of the story. I don't know. The supernatural only works sometimes for me. In this instance, it didn't work. In fact, the moment Dr. Magic actually came into the story, I kind of lost interest. I don't like his character. That said, I do like the protagonist, who is a retired F.B.I. agent named Tony Hetfield. He's very likeable. I also enjoy the light tone and pacing (Though, the light-hearted mood does kind of shift toward the end). Overall, there are enjoyable moments and it's a light read, but it's not for everybody. You really have to be in the spirit to read it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment