The Darkness of the Womb

The Darkness of the Womb

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Interview With The National Eyes of an Urban Pariah Author, Delali Norvor

(Image taken from amazon.com)

One of the things I love about talking to writers is that each personality is different. So here for the first time on this blog is a poet, which couldn't be any more different from the novelists I've had featured on here in the past. Her name is Delali Norvor, and she's only 17 years old. Hello, Delali.

Hello.

Your poetry book is called The National Eyes of an Urban Pariah. Can you please explain the title?

Of course! I will be breaking the title into two parts to make it understandable. The coined term “urban pariah” means a “black outcast” and the coined term “national eyes” means the nation’s current events and social issues Urban Pariah is witnessing and documenting in this book.

It seems the Trayvon Martin trial and outcome greatly affected you. Can you elaborate on that?

Yes, the Trayvon Martin trial and its outcome greatly affected me because we are the same age (17 years old) and we are black; even though I’m not male, I was affected by it because he is a minor like me. He is someone’s sibling, he is someone’s child, he is someone’s friend, and he’s someone’s classmate like me. If Trayvon was a violent teenager, it would have been a whole different story but that isn’t the case. We don’t know the truth and we need to know the real story here. We need justice for Trayvon Martin, period.

On your tumblr page, you say that Kendrick Lamar influences the way you write poetry. In what sense do you mean?

What I mean is that if you are a fan of Kendrick, you are going to instantly notice his style of lyricism. If you think about it, poetry and lyricism are the same except with lyrics, you need music to accompany the words. Rap is vocal poetry, you know. His style was something new. By something new, he is able to tell vivid stories in lines and stanzas under 3 minutes. The stories he raps about are visually about the problems and issues of America. I was influenced by him to write this poetry book which addresses the problems America is facing through the national eyes of urban pariah in short, sweet and direct form which Kendrick taught me.

Why the decision to write a book of poetry and not a novel? Do you feel you connect more with poetry than prose?

I basically wanted to address the problems of Urban America directly. I just wanted to get my point across and deliver it in a short manner so poetry was the way to do just that.

It's interesting that you chose to release your book independently. Why did you make that decision?

I’m only 17. This is my very first book I have ever done; I did submit my work to both traditional and independent publishers but it was the independent publisher that I felt I could be comfortable working with and they taught me each step of the publishing world thoroughly and effortless. I’m grateful for that experience and I don’t regret it.

In what sense are you an "urban pariah"?

I’m an “urban pariah” because I’m a minority, I’m black, the young adults society considers me weird and I’m definitely an outcast in school but I don’t mind being one because being an urban pariah gave me the ability to sit back, witness, and poetically document the world in a different point of view and a fresh poetic perspective than the average 17 years old living in Urban America.

What do you want to get across with your poetry?

I want my preachment for the progress of societal betterment in America and especially Urban America to get across with my poetry.

Do you see a future for yourself as a writer? On your tumblr page, you make it clear that you don't see yourself as a writer at all? Will we see more from the "urban pariah"?

Yes, I don’t see myself as a writer at all; I have this automatic cinematographic imagination as I write. I really want to be a film maker so I can get these stories to a mainstream and broader audience. I feel like my writings are just poetic storyboards for the future when I become a film maker. Yes, you will be seeing more from “Urban Pariah.” I’m working on the sequel and can’t wait for you guys to read it.

Okay, sounds good. Thanks for participating!

1 comment: