The Darkness of the Womb

The Darkness of the Womb

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Interview with Quake Author, Lisa Arrington

Today, I talk to Quake author, Lisa Arrington. Hello, Lisa.

Hi.

Please tell us about Quake. Give us a synopsis.

Ali and Caden thought they were your average teenagers trying to navigate high school pressures and college decisions.

During a camping trip all of that changes when an earthquake ushers in an alien invasion on their small desert hometown.

Lives are lost and friendships are tested as Ali and Caden, along with their best friends, begin running for their lives. However, nothing can prepare them for the secrets they discover when they begin learning more about themselves then they ever thought possible.

Aliens, huh? Interesting. What genre would you classify your book as? Is this a sci-fi novel?

I would say that Quake is perfect for the young adult crowd, although most of my readers have been adults. It is classified as sci-fi due to the content.

I see. And why did you pick the location that you did? Can you tell us more about it?

Tucson is my hometown! I love it here and thought that writing about the beauty of the desert would be the perfect setting for an alien invasion. Plus, everything happens in LA or NY, so it also made sense to write about it happening in the last place it would actually happen!

This is true that most stories take place in NY and LA. I never really thought about it. I guess you just take it for granted. So where did you come up with the characters for your book?

The protagonist, Ali, is loosely based on my teenage self. The other characters are loosely based on a combination of family, friends and other people that I admire.


I see. And what is southern Arizona like? Do you try to infuse this setting in your writing?

HOT! LOL. It is one of those places that as a child you can't wait to leave, but then as you grow older you realize the subtle beauty of it. The mountains, the cacti, the sunsets. Absolutely gorgeous. Quake is the first story that I have set in Tucson. The sequel has been moved to another 'no way would that happen there' location, but I do have another story in mind that may be set here.

Glad to hear you're already working on the sequel. On your author's bio, it says that you can usually be found with a Kindle in your hand. Do you prefer reading on a tablet or with a physical copy, and if so, why?

Mostly I love the Kindle because it has tons of books on it and I can also use it for my writing. There are very few books that I wish I would have gotten a physical copy of but if I run across one of those I will go out and buy it right away. My family thinks I'm nuts for having two copies of things!

It's not nuts. I do it, too, sometimes. So what's it like raising two boys and being a mother?

It is never a dull moment, let me tell you that. My sons are 14 (nearly 15) and 9. The age difference has always been a huge issue for them, but I think (I hope) that it's getting easier. They are able to have conversations now and hang out without wanting to beat up each other. I love being the mom of boys. I love that they are active and play basketball and football. I'm kind of a loud person, so these sports are perfect for cheering. Being a mom is a great.

It sounds it. So, what is you favorite "mind-numbing" game on your phone? Please don't say Candy Crush. :)

LOL! You caught me. I will waste so much time on that game. My youngest has also got me to play Subway Surfers and I like 4 pics 1 song.

Excellent. Is there anything else you would like to talk about or plug?

Hmmmm, if there is anything else that people would like to know about me please follow my social sites: Blog: http://lisaawrites.blogspot.com/ Twitter: https://twitter.com/lisaawrites Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lisaawrites

No comments:

Post a Comment