The Darkness of the Womb

The Darkness of the Womb

Friday, August 9, 2013

Interview With How I Exiled My Inner Bitch Author, Miv Evans



Short and sweet. That's how Yahoo contributor and author, Miv Evans, likes to keep her interviews. Short and sweet. I had the pleasure of talking with her about her debut book, How I Exiled My Inner Bitch and other things. Here's how it all went down.

Please tell us about How I Exiled My Inner Bitch-The Book.

I was inspired to write it after listening to a lot of my friends complaining about their partners' kids, and the complaints of the kids!

Yeah. It can get a bit annoying at times. Outside of writing books, you also write film reviews. Can you tell us about that?

The majority of the negative reviews I've had published are for studio releases, as my policy is to write nothing at all if I think an indie is unworthy of praise. There are, however, exceptions, the most current of these being Layla Versus. This film was so tedious I nearly nodded off but, when I went to the press day, the writer/director compared his film to Bridesmaids, claiming his was more authentic. Apart from being a huge hit, I think Bridesmaids is one of the funniest comedies ever made, and I couldn't wait to get back to the office to start work on Layla's epitaph.

Ha! Nice. You actually have a twitter account of "inner bitchisms". Can you tell us about that?

Inner Bitchisms will be posted regularly as soon as the book is published. Nothing is from the book, so you'll miss out if you don't follow #innerbitchisms



Done and done. Now, your book starts off with a ten year old girl watching an R rated movie. What was your first R rated movie and how old were you when you watched it? Did it seriously impact your life?

I honestly can't remember my first R rated film. I can remember Last Tango in Paris, which was the abridged version, but before that is a blank.

Fair enough. My first R-Rated film was The Exorcist. I couldn't sleep for weeks! Now, you also sold a comedy drama to BBC TV. What was it about?

It was titled The Metal Movers. John Howard Davies, the director of Fawlty Towers, was attached, together with Ruth Caleb, the producer of Shirley Valentine. It was based on my experiences as a female car dealer. As the only woman in a male environment, I was the butt of much humor, and decided it was all too good to waste!

Awesome. I have to check that out. I love Fawlty Towers. Coming from Wales, do you ever put your Welsh sensibilities in your writing?

The only Welsh trait I'm aware of is that we pry on our neighbors. When I meet people, I always ask loads of questions, but I'm not sure if being nosy is a sensibility!

That's actually a universal trait. And finally, How I Exiled My Inner Bitch is your debut novel. What other novels can we expect from you?

How I Exiled My Inner Gigolo and How I Found My Inner Sociopath. A trilogy!

Sounds great! Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment