The Darkness of the Womb

The Darkness of the Womb

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Review of The Maltese Falcon

The Maltese FalconThe Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I liked The Maltese Falcon, and I can understand its legacy. For a book that came out in the 1930s, it's amazing that Dashiell Hammett got away with what he did. This book was ahead of its time, and its content is taken seriously. This is a very mature book, and I like it for that reason. It's worth your time.

For those who have already seen the movie, the book follows the same thread. In that way, you really don't have to read the book if you're just interested in the plot. But you really should read the book, since Hammett is an amazing writer. The way he describes Sam Spade's womanizing and exploits is very straight and to the point, just as you'd expect a detective novel should be.

That said, being that this is one of the first in the genre, I must say that the twists and turns aren't as exciting as they would be if I had read the book when it initially came out. But that's more my fault than the author's, who did an amazing job at getting me invested in the twisty tale. Plus, I really love the ending. It's different and it opens up the notion that the story of Sam Spade continues, even if this little adventure is over.

Overall, if you like well-written characters, then give this a read. It's short and it's wonderful.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment