The Darkness of the Womb

The Darkness of the Womb

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Review: The Golden Compass

The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1)The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I can understand why so many people love The Golden Compass, as it's dark, intelligent, and intriguing, but it's just not for me. I really dig the world that Philip Pullman presents here with the daemons and bears and what not, but so much of the book feels like wasted time. It's not until the staggering ending that I really got into it. The rest of the book felt so disjointed and slow that I'm actually not sure if I want to follow Lyra the rest of the way through to the end of the next two books. Maybe I just have to give it time. Anyway, The Golden Compass may be your cup of tea, but it's certainly not mine. I at least say to give this one a try to see if this universe fits you. It's good enough to at least give it that recommendation. Just don't see the movie, since it doesn't do this book justice.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment