The Darkness of the Womb

The Darkness of the Womb

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Review: Mafietta

MafiettaMafietta by E.W. Brooks
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm torn with Mafietta. On one hand, I like the way it's written. I like the dialogue, I like the pacing (Though, it's a bit too fast early on, making me not really sure why Clarke is the way she is), and overall, I enjoyed the story. But on the other hand, it's not my sort of book. E.W. Brooks does a great job of bringing us into the underbelly of society and provides a strong female protagonist, but it got to be a bit much for me, and many of the characters seem more like characters in a story than actual people (Their motives are questionable). As many reviewers have shown, there's a lot to like here, but it's just not for me. If you want to read a book that reads like a movie, then by all means, read Mafietta. But if you enjoy books because they get to the root of the human condition, then this may not be the book for you. It's a genre title, through and through, which isn't a bad thing at all, but again, it's just not for me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment